January 7, 2012

so much to say

I've realised that the best blogs, or at least my favorite ones, are the ones that are more a collection of ideas in pictures rather than in words. And I want my own blog to be the same way- one that people like to 'read' because it isn't too wordy. Make sense? The issue I've had is, of course, that we've had no compatible-with-my-computer camera, or I've taken all of my photos with film, and this area is THE MOST difficult area to find a store that actually processes 35mm film. Or it's like $15 a roll. So I see them... three months after I take them.

Anyway, enough complaining. Here are the pictures (sorry for the crummy quality !) that I did take of some tartelettes that I made on Tuesday.





I used this recipe for the pate sucree (the pastry shell), painted the insides with white chocolate and filled those with a grapefruit curd. My only complaint is that the grapefruit curd and white chocolate together were very sweet, it could have done with less sugar in the curd and maybe a little lemon juice, or a white grapefruit instead? But they do look so pretty !

Grapefruit Curd
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
zest of one grapefruit
pinch salt
10 tbsp butter

- combine all ingredients in a saucepan. cook over medium heat (about a 5/6 on your knob) stirring continuously with a spoon until it coats the back of your spoon (~7-8 minutes).
- continue to cook and stir for another 1-2 minutes while the mixture boils (you want it to be thick).
- remove from heat and add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time until it is all melted.
- pour curd into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap that touches the top of the curd so it won't form a skin. cool in the refrigerator for about an hour before using. curd will last about a week with plastic wrap touching the top and kept in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment